Well today was a bust. We woke up with great spirits after a fabulous night of sleep. We were able to take our time getting ready and packing up before heading to our next hotel (hostel). The walk to the metro with our suitcases and then from metro to hostel went without a hitch. We arrived at the hostel at exactly 11am as I had told them only to find a letter on the door saying they'd be back by 11:30am due to an emergency. Ok no biggie. We hung outside for a lil while until some people came out and let us into the lobby. Then we were hanging out there until about 11:50 when finally the lady shows up. The lady who bears bad news. Another couple had shown up while we were waiting and the lady told us both that there was an overbooking and she was waiting on the manager to call back with where we could stay. The other couple talked to him first and left without arguing. I however was NOT in the mood to be dragging my heavy suitcase all around Rome. Plus I like familiarity. I had visited this place the day before so I knew in advance where I was going, etc. I did not want to go searching for a new hotel while carrying my luggage. SO I argued.
For those of you who don't know me very well- this is a rarity. Sure I'll argue with friends and family but strangers? No. I don't argue with people in the customer service industry. I'm a chicken normally. So bad actually that I've eaten the wrong food just because I didn't want to tell the waitor that he messed up my order. But either I'm getting older and crankier or my hormones were raging but I argued. The manager tried to get us to go to a "penthouse" that was 20km from Rome! Crazy man. I said I wanted walking distance- I was pregnant and not carrying my suitcase around. He said "Ooohh ok I'll call you right back." My hope was that he'd call back and suddenly there'd be a miraculous opening there at the hostel. No chance. He offered to send us to a place just one metro ride away. I said I'd call HIM back this time. Then I called our previous hotel (Holiday House Rome) and explained the situation and asked if they were still free. He said they were except Tuesday night but he'd get us in a BandB right around the corner and he'd even take my suitcase himself! He also told me to not get ripped off. The manager had offered to pay the cab fare to wherever we would be staying. The HHR man said "Oh you can get more out of him than that!" He explained that in our contract we had to give the hostel 3 days notice to cancel or pay the full cost. So why shouldn't they do the exact same?? Good point! The HHR man said we should get our 10% deposit back plus cab fare PLUS the hostel should pay the difference in hotel price for the remainder of the week. The hotel was 7euros more a night than the hostel. Well this made perfect sense to me! So another first in Keeley's life- I haggled. I called the hostel manager back and we talked money. Honestly I have to say I probably sounded like my Dad or Grandaddy...just a tiny bit of sarcasm but all truth and common sense! The manager said he'd call me back (yes we did this about 10 times over 2 hours- so annoying). He called back and agreed on the cab and deposit but not the other because he had found a place for the same price. I said I agreed however I did not know this place. I had not seen website nor visited it in person. I explained that I had booked the hostel 2 months in advance based on a website with photos. I then visited the hostel the day before to check out the area and lobby (he was surprised by this). I also explained I tried to confirm my reservation at this time but there was no one available (he apologized). Then I politely declined his offer to stay in a different hotel for the night but then stay at the hostel for the remainder of the week (apparently it wasn't an overbooking in OUR case- there was something wrong with the room. I looked in the room on a trip to the bathroom and it's too bad- it was a very nice and large room. Oh well). He apologized many times but I just said "Thank you" - I did NOT say "oh it's ok" because it wasn't. Two months in advance- and they had my phone number AND email address- it was NOT ok. Anywho I made it clear that I was not impressed nor happy with him not paying the difference. Then the lady called a cab for us and gave us our deposit back plus 20euros for the cab. She called the manager and had the taxi driver talk to him and then she got back on the phone. When she hung up she said "Mama mia Maxi!" (the manager's name- and yes an Italian actually said this!!) then forked over another 30euros (half the difference in hotel price). Success! No I didn't get the full price difference but I DEFINITELY got more than I would have if I hadn't thought to ask!! :-) Haggling is fun lol
So after a TERRIFYING taxi ride (seriously- only adventure and thrill seekers should take taxi's in Rome. Normally that's me but I tend to be more queasy at the moment so I'll stick to the Metro) we were back at our original hotel. The man didn't lie and literally booked us at a BandB right behind this building and is going to walk my suitcase over for me. He even got that manger to give us vouchers for breakfast since they don't normally offer it but it's something HE offers at his place. Score! He also recommended an amazing (and cheap!) pizza place right around the block that we tried out. Seriously. Pizza Hut is just NOT going to cut it anymore! After eating we went to the USO right down the street just to see what it had. Free drinks, coffee, snacks, and internet! Plus they have people there that will help you with ANYthing! Thank you to those of you who donate to the USO- it's a great place!!
By this time it was 3pm and we figured we wouldn't make it through the Vatican lines by the 4pm cut off time so we went back the hotel to take a short nap. MUCH needed in my case but poor Matt just laid there with his eyes open the whole time. After my breather we jumped back on our tour bus for a very jolting ride around the city again. Today was a different route because it was a week day so we saw a few different things. We rode it for about 2 1/2 hours- a full circle and a half. By the last half the lights were starting to come on so we saw parts of Rome lit up! Then we got off at the stop by a VERY large and nice McDonalds! After eating we jumped on the Metro and bada bing bada boom were back at our hotel. Love it.
Something we've noticed about Rome (as compared to Paris). It is dirtier however there are less con artists hassling you and less beggars every where you turn (I've seen two in two days compared to 20 in 1 hour in Paris). Paris is much more romantic just to stroll around (plus the tour bus went later in the night so you could see it ALL lit up) however Rome has more interesting things historical wise. I mean how many people can say they've seen a building built in 44BC?! Rome's metro is slightly cheaper and very easy to use. Neither of us can decide which city we like better but who cares? It's all amazing and surreal. I can't believe I'm in Rome right now!
22:41
Keeley Barr

1 comments:
AWwww.. my heart smiles... I am sooo proud of my lil haggler! WTG.. felt good huh? Not to get ripped off!!!! Pride beams! I remember doing that in San Antonio and I thought your dad was gonna sliver into the cracks on the floor.. but hey .. we didn't have to pay out the bazoo ... can't remember what the problem was just him saying oh ok and me saying no it's not ok.. haha..Other than that.. how AWESOME .. you are in ROME girl.. take it all in. Today I guess you were going to Pompei if I remember the other blog .. hope that went smooth. haven't seen anything yet! Love yall.. stay safe!!!
Post a Comment