Friday, February 5, 2010

Career Worries

So I finally told the principal at my school about the pregnancy on Monday. Unfortunately she had already heard about it which is very disappointing seeing as how I only told a few people (and I told her that). She wasn't upset and understood I was waiting until the 2nd trimester began so that's good. In fact she gave me the great news that she would hire me for sure next year! So I asked if I could apply now to get the process rolling but unfortunately with this system you can't even apply until you have the degree/certification. So this uplifted my mood after a bad morning (see below).

However even with this great news I've been stressing with the decision of working. So many moms here don't work but I also know that's because the lack of jobs here. Here I am being offered one but not sure if I want to take it! Here's my thinkings. I am worried about being on maternity leave the first 6weeks of school and coming into a classroom that has been with subs the whole time. So I thought ok well maybe I don't apply for a job until later so I could start in January after the break. I am also worried about putting a tiny 6 week old baby into daycare! Another option I had considered was subbing a few days a week and gradually working my way up to full time. Or do I not work at all? So many choices!!!

Well yesterday I learned that my worrying is probably all for nothing. I guess that the principal can't say for sure that I will be hired (I'm hearing this from 2 other teachers) because the open spots depends on the number of enrollment. Also apparently the spots that are open must be made available to all other DoDDS employees and if any of them want to transfer to our school then they have seniority. Another new teacher was also told she was going to be rehired for sure next year but technically I have seniority over her because I was hired 2 months before her (yes it really does get down to that here). So if there is an open spot I should get it instead of her. I also heard another teacher's horror story. She had a job as a teacher 3 years ago but then the next year they didn't have one for her so she subbed. Then she was supposed to have a job this year but she had a baby in Aug. and another person (with less seniority) was hired over her to take the job. She assumes because she had the baby but really how can you prove it? Luckily another came available soon after so she did get one but still! So much trouble!!

So I have decided that if I get a job offer then awesome- I'll take it. I'm not worried about starting late in the year because I won't be the kind of teacher that just leaves everything up to the sub. Matt and I can come set up the room before school starts and I can have everything ready to go as if I would be there- lesson plans, procedures, everything. Then I can keep up with the sub daily through email and once a week I can go in and help prepare materials and check in - in person. I think this is something I need to discuss with the principal so she doesn't worry about the maternity leave either. I hope it works! But if I don't get a job offer for the beginning of the year then I get to enjoy my baby at home for even longer! :-)

2 comments:

Kel said...

MY sweet babygirl. Reading this.. wow.. you are gonna be a mommy. Why it is slowly sinkin in is I guess you are so far away. But reading these things.. makes me smile. I was blessed Nana had the daycare..but that did not make it one bit easier having to leave you!!!! It is hard. But..one thing I saw above.. ya haven't really stopped..breathed..prayed... ya know He has a plan for us all. If you are meant to be in the classroom right away then I am sure those doors will be open and just know that there is a reason. A child's path you may cross that you touch in away only you can. If not..then you are home with your baby...but stress...?? nah.. don't do that. Baby likes stress free environment up in there. It is cramped enough :-))) IT will all work out the way He wants it to if we open our hearts and minds for His will ... I love you so much and so excited!!! Wish I was there to let ya lay in my lap as I rub ur hair..and belly ;-).... xoxopbpbxoxo I am so proud of yall!

Jay and Gina said...

Hey Girl!! I know the school environment is stresseful, along with the entire job situation!! Whatever will come will come!! I think a great plan would be that I be your long term sub at the beginning of the year and then you can have your room back after six weeks!! I think that sounds great!! We should tell that to Ms. Holt!!

Sorry about unlaoding on you the other day. I had a very troubling day. It isn't all that bad... and I just happened to get a dozy of a class!! You will be absolutely awesome next year!!

But as always, God is in control! He has a plan for you and all you need to do is follow!

Post a Comment