After returning home and getting back over jet lag AGAIN I began subbing at the elementary school 3-4 times max a week. A friend (love her!) keeps Roman when I get called in and I pay her part of what I make so we both can make a little extra money. I have already subbed in Kindergarten, first grade, and as a pre-K aide. This week and next I'm subbing in second. Getting back in the school that first day was amazing. I had really missed teaching and being away from Roman from 7:30-3 actually gave me time to miss him which made our afternoon/evenings much more enjoyable! And days I don't sub I find myself spending more quality time with him because I no longer have every day and want the most I can get. It's not the quantity but the quality. Some moms are home with their kids all day and do absolutely nothing with them! The kids entertain themselves or the computer/tv does it. Roman and I sing, read, talk, lay next to each other on his play mat and play, cook, fold laundry, etc together! I talk to him constantly. In fact my grandmother pointed out that he needed to learn to entertain himself as well so I've started trying to let him just relax in his swing or play on his mat instead of constantly talking to him. I do still like to be where he can see me though.
The newest thing we are doing is TV. Roman can't get enough of it! I have to keep a blanket over his portacrib to block it. We used to have his mat on the floor but no matter which way you turned it he would find a way to stare at the tv!! SO frustrating. And if he couldn't find it he'd cry! What?? Is this normal?! So now the blanket blocks it except when he's doing tummy time (10 mins maybe? about 3x a day) and then I let him watch Baby Einstein or Sesame Street (he is engrossed in Elmo- goes crazy waving around and grunting when he comes on. No one else! And he "talks" and laughs at the puppets on Baby Einstein!) because it keeps his head up longer otherwise he just lays it face down and cries until I move him (and sometimes he'll get so hysterical that I have to pick him up and it takes minutes to calm his screams!) I've also learned to do tummy time after he's rested from a feeding because not only is he full and happy it helps get extra burps out! We also work out his neck in his walker, jumper, or in the bumbo. He does like his bouncy more now and we use it to watch Mommy cook! :-)I probably stress waaaay to much over tv with him but research just doesn't know the exact long term effects! Maybe we have more hyperactive children now because of it? It's overstimulating to their little brains that we know but does it cause ADHD? Who knows but why risk it? Same with violent movies at this age. A) who knows if they have nightmares because of it :-( and b) maybe it turns them into psychopathic killers!! Again- why risk it? I definitely understand moms using the tv to entertain- I get it. Especially moms who are home ALL DAY and just want a break (boy do I get it)!! However I will be working and when we're home together I want family time. A good friend here that has moved limited tv during the week with her FOUR kids and I loved it! Another mom here that has FIVE boys and is home full time with 4 of them (the other is in school) limits to one show (mickey, barney, etc) a day and a movie a week. Moms are really in control and kids won't no any better. So one show a day (10 mins 3x a day for now with tummy time) then I would like Friday to be family movie night and we'll watch a kid movie together. We have TONS of Disney and Pixar movies and by the time he's old enough to watch we should have them all ;-) so we don't even have to worry about renting! And to use movies for special occasions like baby sitters, car rides, etc so that it's a bigger deal! Again overstressing I know... :-)
Ok more ketchup! I was hired as the new kindergarten teacher! The school has so many kids they need an extra class and I'm it :-) I start on Monday with organizing my room, etc and I guess I'll start actually teaching the following week (Thanksgiving week)? So subbing in 2nd tomorrow while Daddy and Roman hang out for Daddy's 25 (!!!) birthday while I sub and do some school stuff. Matt will be gone all next week in Graf for training so I guess we'll do some rearranging in the room this weekend if possible. Next week is going to be one stressful week for me so lots of prayers please! A GREAT friend is keeping Roman Mon-Thurs and another great lady (and becoming great friend ;-) is keeping him Friday but I will still have to pick him up by 3pm then take him BACK to the school with me to work some more until 5/6 or so then home for dinner, bath, and bed (and that quality time) then more work for Mommy! Prayers that I keep my sanity, Roman cooperates (and doesn't wake up at night!), and safety for Daddy :-)
13:57
Keeley Barr
Posted in: 
1 comments:
Prayers for all in this new chapter of your lives! I know you are going to great with your class. You my dear are amazing. I am so proud of you. Not a moment seems to pass that I am not thinking of yal. Love you to the moon .. xoxo mommy
Post a Comment