Well I have completed by Newcomer's class and I would recommend that program to EVERY newcomer (military AND spouses!) We learned so much! Our teacher, Beate (pronounced Bee-ah-ta), is a German native but she married a soldier (served 24yrs) and spent time in the States (it's amazing how quickly I've started calling it "The States" rather than America or USA or just saying I'm from Texas) so she really understands being a foreigner AND a military spouse. The first 2 days are boring with different departments on post coming to talk to you but then the 3rd day we took a van around Schweinfurt and saw the on post clinic, 2 off post hospitals, the animal park, a Super Kmart type store where we learned about grocery shopping "on the economy" (off post), a garden center, a HUGE (4 stories) home store- the bottom floor has discounts up to 70%!, and a smaller home furniture store. We will definitely be getting out meats, produce, and bread from the Germans- not only are the GORGEOUS and fresh- they are so cheap!
The 4th day we met at a bus stop and learned to use the public bus system. We explored downtown Schweinfurt with Beate explaining historical things as well as shopping in department stores (like you aren't supposed to take items from floor to floor- you check out on that floor THEN go to the next floor. Who knew?) She also showed us recommended restaurants, "hidden cafes," and discount stores. The best store was a liquor store where they make their own liquors, oils, and vinegars as well as bottle their own wine! Beate made it very clear that the Army doesn't condone drinking but we were able to taste some yummy homemade strawberry liquor made from fresh strawberries! You could totally tell they were fresh. I bought a little bottle for us to enjoy tonight because they only make the liquor during strawberry season which ends this month! Sad... I also tasted some raspberry schnapps that was horrible! Meaning it burned and was SO strong! I learned not all schnapps are sweet... The neat thing about this store, besides being able to sample everything, is that they allow you to bring in your own bottle- no matter what size- or buy a bottle from them and fill it with what you want~ including wine straight from the barrel! Vom Fass- I will be back to your store!
The last day (yesterday) we met at the train station where we learned how to buy tickets, including group and regional tickets (Adri- we totally wasted money *tear*). We went to Bamburg and learned about some historical places, saw two churches- including the church where the first German pope's remains are (yes we saw the coffin- and the crypts!), we saw the outside of the Monastery where I hear the monks brew amazing smoked beer (supposed to taste like you're drinking a bacon cheeseburger haha) but we didn't go there. I will next time! We ate at a great restaurant and then we were given a couple of hours to wonder and shop. I got some great deals- 3 shirts and pair of earrings for 18 Euros! After I got home I crashed for two hours until Matt woke me up- and then I was cranky! I spent last night reminiscing the old days by watching old cartoons/shows on surfthechannel.com and youtube.com! Including:
Gummi Bears
Duck Tales
Chip n Dale
Mario Brothers
Sonic
Gumby
Jetsons
Flinstones
Dinosaurs
Duck Tales the Movie
It was fun lol. I miss being a kid ;-) I think I'll buy all those on DVD and only let my kids watch them instead of these new weird cartoons they have out now! Hey- I turned out fine so why not? LOL
Tonight the Barreto's are coming over for some homemade chicken tortellini alfredo, wine, and beer! Barreto was in Matt's company back in Fort Hood so that's really neat. And Jennifer graduated from college in Florida (where they're both from) and is also a sorority girl/scrapbooker/wine-o! They also have the cutest baby ever!
15:51
Keeley Barr

1 comments:
YAY!! Glad ya have some friends from home..sort of there.. and sounds like good food to boot! I am soo laughing at ur cartoons ya sent.. that was how I was with you... let me tell ya.. this girl LOVED her some Duck Tales... haha Hope you have a great evening..think how fast time is flying.. all you have done ALREADY!!! I love and miss you bunches!
Post a Comment