Monday, September 14, 2009

Exciting News!

So I had a meeting with the principal today and I realized how scatterbrained she is! She had actually forgotten she had asked for the meeting!! But luckily she was there and not busy so we talked briefly. Turns out there was someone else wanting to student teach but that person did not have an education degree. Sooo they said they would take me on instead =-) She introduced me to a 2nd grade teacher that I would be with and she is an older teacher and very nice. She seemed alot like me- a little bit of old school teaching but mostly newer techniques. She uses the guided reading method and said she likes hands on activities. Sounds like her math and social studies are more teacher directed but she doesn't mind my doing collaborative lessons. She also explained more about DoDS standards and standardized testing. We also talked about my coming in and volunteering this semester to get familiar with the class and schedule to make student teaching easier. Afterwards I went back to wrap up with the principal who said that I would also be in a fourth grade classroom with a young "great" teacher (but I guess I can't- UTT wants you to do half time in a preK-1 and half with 2-4). I asked about the volunteering and possibly substituting and she jumped on the idea! She said she would definitely hire me and gave me an application and I gave her my transcript and resume!

After this meeting I went back home and found an email from UTT explaining that I would need a university person to supervise me. So I called the University of Phoenix rep because I hadn't gotten an email back. She basically told me it was useless and I wasn't the first by many to ask about student teaching supervisors. She said there was no one in Europe really. Well that wasn't working so I called the CTC rep here in Schweinfurt because CTC has an associates program in education. They gave me the 2 professors phone numbers. One professor said she works full time but that she knew of a couple of people at Schweinfurt Elem. who were qualified to supervise. She had me email her and she said she would talk to them and email me back. Now when I first got to the school today the principal asked about who would be supervising. She said they had people who could but that she didn't think DoDEA would "take on that responsibility." So I don't know if that means they can or what...The other professor didn't answer.

After all this I called UTT to inform them of this dilema. I also told her what the principal mentioned. She said this is all new territory and we were all learning together. Soo she has to talk to the Interim Director of the School of Education to see if they can allow another teacher to supervise me. She said normally they don't allow that because it's a conflict of interest but under these circumstances...I'm going to email the principals at the middle and high school levels to see if they have anyone qualified...maybe that would be "more acceptable." *sigh* But I did get all the information I've been lacking about student teaching and the forms so at least I have something to work on.

But if anything I got a subbing job! All I can do is give this up to God. He knows what I need. The principal said to get that sub application back to her and that I could probably get started next week so I am taking the application in to her tomorrow morning. I also am going to ask about a supervisor. Oo Matt and I are also getting our passports tomorrow so soon we can finally travel!!

1 comments:

Kel said...

YAY on the travel and the info you didn't have... the rest will fall into place! I love you .. I could not believe I saw you up this am but realized it was afternoon for you so that made more sense after ur late night paperwork thing haha... Hope all goes smooth and I will talk to you soon love you bunches babygirl!!! xoxo mommy

Post a Comment