Thursday, November 5, 2009

I fell asleep at Taco Bell!

So I am physically and emotionally exhausted so this is going to be brief:

Matt had to go 5 hours away on Tuesday to drop off Ammo. On the way there his humvee ran out of gas (broken gauge). They spent 4 hours on the side of the autobahn and were never "rescued" so finally the other humvee left got a tank of gas and came back. After getting to the barracks room he shared with 3 other guys- all on cots- at midnight they were woken up at 5am to begin the day. They got to the ammo place at 8 but weren't seen until 1pm. They never had ANY food thanks to a Sgt. who wanted to get going (yes, hurry up and wait). At 4ish I called Matt and they FINALLY stopped at a McDonalds for food. He got home at 9:30pm and crashed. So in my book he was gone 2 nights because I didn't really see him last night. Thankfully they didn't make him come into work until 10am today so he got to catch up on sleep.

As for me well a friend of mine is out of town for the week leaving her husband with their 4 kids (10, 8, 6, 2). He called Tuesday night and asked if I could help him with the kids this morning because he had a doctor's appointment in Heidelburg. Of course I said yes! So this morning I got up at 4:45am (yes shocker for me I know I know....LOTS of coffee) and got to their house at 5:30am. He left at 6am and I had the 3 bigger kids getting dressed, eating, etc. About 6:45 the 2yr old was up as well. The big kids took the bus (I offered to drive since I was going to their school anyways but they took the bus) and I took the 2yr old to his babysitter then went to school. It was great for me- felt like I was home with all my rugrats!!

Today I subbed in the same class I had on Monday. It was 90x better than Monday and I hate to say it but partially because one student was absent so it just made the whole day less stressful and easier to focus on teaching and not disciplining. Don't get me wrong- its still a tough group but I'm pretty tough too ;-) I am very proud of myself though- even when the kids were being SO loud I just talked in a quiet calm voice and one or two kids would hear me and they would start quieting others and it was a chain reaction! So you DON'T have to yell to get what you want *hint hint* It may take a little longer (we were late to library because of certain chatter boxes) but the kids and I were certainly less stressed. At the end of the day one boy told me I was "like the best teacher EVer" and then the 5 around him agreed hahaha :-D I saw their actual sub after school and told her the good report and she agreed that one student CAN make a huge impact on the day. She also agreed that while they are a handful it is fun being challenged every day AND it makes the day FLY by!!! I'm going to be so bored next semester in my student teaching class- they are SO "easy" and good!

Well at about 1pm one of the girls I took care of this morning came to tell me she wasn't feeling well. I don't know why her teacher sent her to me- its not like I could leave school and take her home?...but we called her Dad and he picked her up. Then later he called and asked if I could get the other kids picked up and brought home (he was pretty medicated from his doctor visit). After going to ACS and getting the ball rolling on becoming a Respite Care Provider, the library to pick up some books, and SATO to get info on our Paris trip I went and got the little one from his babysitter and the 2 remaining big kids from their daycare. Got them home safe and sound and then had to go pick up MY big kid from work.

On the way to get his haircut (and some Taco Bell because I was/am too exhausted to cook-and yes I dozed off in the food court of the PX eating my crunch wrap- and later while Matt was finishing eating!!!) he broke the "good/bad" news. First off is that tonight he has duty from 10pm-2am so another night I have to go to sleep alone. Second is we wouldn't be able to attend the marriage retreat because he was going to be gone for 18 days in December. Why is this good/bad? Bad because there goes most of Dec. when I wanted to travel to all the Christmas fests with him. We have not spent a Christmas together since 2004- senior year of HIGH SCHOOL!! Yes I know we'll be together for actual Christmas but we had big plans of Christmas fests, Christmas movies, and Christmas decorating/baking to fill up the month of December. Ok so that's the bad. The good is he's going to WLC (Warriors Leader Course) which is "Sgt. School." No he's not being promoted but he has to have WLC to be a Sgt and this also adds to his promotion points towards making Sgt. He still has to get his points to cut off AND pass the PT test.

Ok good night one and all I am soo stinking tired its not funny. Oh one more thing- props to my little brother Cody for being the only sophomore to make VARSITY BASEBALL!!! You are AMAZING and I am SO proud and happy for you :-D !!!!!!!! One step closer to making the Longhorn Baseball team ;-)

3 comments:

Kel said...

WOW..I had to refill my coffee to finish the not gonna be brief blog about your exhausting day...haha. I can imagine I would of fallen asleep too. Sorry to hear about the whole December thing but get creative..start early if ya can ..do the baking and movies and heck any festivals that start before he goes..

Glad all went well with the kiddos. I was wondering when ya called how you would fit em all in your car. Of course the older ones took the bus.Riding to school with a teacher... soooo not cool hehe.

Also glad Matt made it back safely although he had an adventure for sure. That is great to hear about Cody. I know he is excited! Well got to get ready to go to DJ's school for his awards ceremony this a.m. He got straight A's for the 9 weeks and he is getting something from his GT teacher for getting so many 100's on his benchmark test! I got the batteries charging for pics haha.. I love you so much and so glad life is somewhat becoming normal for you..minus the whole he has to be gone part. Have a great weekend! xoxo mommy

Kel said...

oops I meant to finish the "brief" blog...wow..more coffee... hehe Oh Krpger has a peppermint mocha creamer now that taste just like a starbucks one. MUAHS

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys will be able to spend Christmas together this year! I love hearing about your subbing stories as I'm going to start a program to get my teacher certification! Hope all is well.

Post a Comment