Monday, July 6, 2009

Happy Late 4th!

So since I last updated we have celebrated our first holiday in Germany...but I'm getting ahead of myself.

So Friday the Barretos, Rav's family, and Matt and I drove to Wurzberg where they just opened a brand new Ikea. I've never been to one so that was cool. We are looking for an entertainment center and some bookshelves, plus a closet for the bathroom. Alot of the stuff in Ikea is very modern and I tend to like the more traditional, heavy, wood furniture. But Jen made a good point in saying "Ok the entertainment center you like is 179 euros (roughly 260 dollars) so you use it for 3 years then sell it and buy something better back home!" And really 260 dollars on furniture you can use for at least 3 years if not longer isn't bad so...we'll probably be going back. Omg and the baby/toddler items!!! Matt and I said that our kid is getting a cheap crib because when it comes to toddler/small children furniture- Ikea is the CUTEST!

Saturday was the 4th of July and we all went to the Kessler Field festival on post. The Ying Yang Twins were supposed to be performing but supposedly they were "stuck at the airport" (darn). But we had a good time. There were bands and lots of cool things for kids to do and a few for adults as well. Plus lots of great food! Matt and I did this "Sky Shooter" which is a swing that sling shots you up into the air. Then I did the thing you stand in the circle and it spins you all different ways...yeah hard to explain. I'll put pictures up soon! And then the night ended with a fireworks display. Well lets back up. So earlier in the evening they presented ALL 50 of the state flags and announced when they joined the union and stuff and they played the national anthem. Yeah I got a little teary. I always get teary now when I hear it because I just think of Matt at war and all the families who lost their loved ones...ok enough of that. Back to the fireworks. So when they started they played that "Proud to be an American" song and yeah I got REALLY homesick. It's weird because it only hits at night or during stuff like that. A few nights ago I was overcome with a huge case of claustrophbia just thinking about how all the houses and business are so close together and I just miss cities being spread out..don't get me wrong there are TONS of country side here but when you're in a city it's so...claustrophibic (I know- what an awesome vocabulary I have). Then during the fireworks I was just hit with this feeling of: it's only been one month. A month! And it feels like I've missed so much back home. And I'm tired of being in a place where a LOT of people don't understand me and I don't understand them. And I'm tired of being illiterate! It's driving me CRAZY to not be able to read ANYTHING- even signs!

But anywho- that makes it sound like I'm miserable which I am not. Remember that song is only about 3 minutes long and that's exactly how long those feelings lasted. So to recap- AWESOME holiday minus those 3 MINUTES! LoL

Sunday the 3 families drove an hour and 40 minutes to Grafenwoehr (pronounced: graf-en-veer. I know- weird right??) where there's another, larger, Army post. It's apparently the training post where Matt will go when they prepare for another deployment. But anywho we'd heard they had a huge PX and we wanted to check it out. It was big but unfortunately didn't have a much greater selection...except in purses hehehe. But it was neat to be in a "mall like" place with ENGLISH signs! There was a large food court- complete with (Crappy) Starbucks! The PX of course and some other indoor small shops then the commissary. MUCH more eye appealing than here in Schweinfurt.

Today we are just relaxing. Matt goes back to work tomorrow and I've got my own chores to do including: registering Elvis at the vet, getting a dentist appt, getting the oil changed, and applying to substitue at the Elementary school (gotta have a back up plan)!

Sorry this isn't more detail- I spent the majority of my computer time reading Amanda's baby blog and looking at the photos! Congrats Williams Family!!

2 comments:

Kel said...

I am so glad you got to see the babies.. how awesome was that they got to hold them on the 4th??? Sounds like you are doing great babygirl.. Proud to Be an American Lee Greenwood..can make a person who has never left home cry so hang in there. Probably didn't help I use to play alot of Lee Greenwood huh?? haha..

Ikea.. wow.. I can spend hours in the one here..well north Houston haha.. that is awesome yall have a taste of home there. You said crappy Starbucks.. the sucks..

I can only imagine what not being able to read the signs is doing to you . But knowing you you will have it down before ya know it. Thanks for the update.. every morning with coffee I head here to see.. I love you so much. Give Matt and Elvis hugs for me too! Miss you bunches but it wil fly... xoxo mommy

Anonymous said...

So just to let you know...I love Ikea! Its really great for starter furniture and cheaper than most other places...they also have cheap hotdogs that i like(at least the one in htown).

Miss you guys and good luck with all those chores this week...btw I am taking a trip to Europe the first week and a half of August...so maybe I can see you!!

Love you lots- Gina H

Post a Comment