So another reason to despise Germany. Hospitals. They are so quick to admit you here and keep you even when it's a waste of time. Ok I'll start from the beginning.
I mentioned before that my heart has been skipping beats here and there and has slowly gotten worse (meaning it's doing it more often and harder). The Dr. told me if became unbearable to call. Yesterday I was feeling pretty good all day but around 4-4:30pm while working on the classroom I started getting really tired and dizzy. I thought it was due to lack of sugary food (I hate the school food that day- chicken and brocoli)so I left at about 5pm and drove home. I was really shakey and just sooo tired (and it happened so quickly!) that Matt had me eat a banana and drink a coke. That didn't help and while I was eating dinner my heart kept skipping beats repeatedly and this time it was causing me to cough and making it hard to catch my breath in between the skipping. After we ate I had Matt go get my Mutterpass (basically it's your hospital records of the pregnancy)and I called the 24hr nurse. She didn't speak English. Funnnn. I tried to explain that my heart would go boom boom- stop-boom-stop,etc and she basically said I could come tomorrow and see Dr. Heinrich or come in that night and get checked out. During this conversation I really started not being able to breathe so we said we'd be right there. Well then Matt ran around like a madman throwing on clothes and putting away dinner (all while cussing the whole time- he doesn't handle stress well lol). I really did NOT want to come because I had learned from friend's experiences that they are quick to admit you and then make you sit around.
Well on the ride to the hospital my heart slowed down (of course) but we figured we were already there might as well see the Doc. In her office I just kept getting so short of breath walking from the bed to the bathroom, etc. She felt my pulse and could feel what I was talking about (although I didn't have any major skips) so she hooked me up to a machine to watch for contractions (none) and did an u/s. Everything on Roman looks normal and fluids are all good. Phew! So she sent me up to the cardiac ER (the German hospitals divide ERs on every floor depending on what's your problem). There I met the rudest man ever and then was put on a bed in the hall right by the nurses station and ambulance doors (where people were coming and going) and had my bra taken off and my chest exposed to the world so they could to the EKG. She does it for 10 secs and says it looks wonderful and then he proceeds to question me like I'm faking it (of course- another reason I hate Drs. and hospitals. They never believe you so what's the point??) then he called the Dr. and I guess they decided I need a 24hr EKG since my heart didn't skip in the 10second one. Go figure. They also wanted to do an ultrasound on my heart. I asked if I could come back tomorrow to do it and he told me no. So back down to the maternity clinic to get my admit papers then up to the 7th floor- my home for the night.
This literally felt like a prison. I know that people on bedrest say that and I'm sure after 3 months anywhere- even a hospital room that's closer to a hotel suite- is like prison but no this room was literally. like. prison. My bed was metal, you get the thinnest, shortest blanket and the pillow was as flat as the blanket! The walls are blank and gross and it's just depressing. Plus my cell mate was an old lady who even though said she could speak English did not speak a word to me. Then she proceeded to snore louder than my grandfather all night. Matt was very upset they wouldn't let him stay but I knew he'd be happier at home anyways. He's terrified of hospitals (shhh don't tell him I told you so). Well this morning I woke up at 7am to call the sub I work with and tell her I wouldn't be in and outside the window (ok yes I got a window- I guess it wasn't JUST like prison)all you could see was white. THe fog was so thick it was scary. I thought I had woken up in a nightmare and the vampires or zombies were going to appear at any minute! Or the evil nurse was going to come in and sedate me and lock me up (it doesn't help that everyone who works here wears all white like mental hospitals!) Anyways I just laid around because I didn't want to turn on the tv and bother the old lady (plus its in German anyways). The Dr. came about 8am and told me what tests they were doing (thanks- already knew that). They also took my blood pressure and she said it was 96/260 and she asked if I normally had this and I said no. I don't know if she misread me the number or what because that sounds ridiculous. Then finally at about 8:30 I got my breakfast. Here's another prison comparison. I got to german rolls which if you've never had one- they are the HARDEST rocks- I mean rolls- you've ever tasted! Along with these wonderful rocks I got a package of butter and a cup of coffee (guess the Germans don't worry about caffenine and pregnancy). My cell mate on the other hand got a rock, a thick slice of cheese, some kind of oatmealy thing, and a jug of milk. Oh and jelly for her rock. What's with that?? I'm eating for two but this old lady who probably weighs 80lbs gets the feast?? Another awkward moment of eating across from each other at our table finally ended and my savior, a sweet nurse who's husband is military, came and told me they were releasing me from maximum security and moving down with the less restricted inmates. On the walk down to the elevator and to my new room (On the maternity floor- MUCH MUCH MUCH more cheerful!!!) and I could barely breathe. I am now in the maternity wing and my roommate is nice and also still pregnant. Our room has color and my bed is less prison like. I know I sound like a big baby but compared to the one other time I've been in the hospital- and the numerous hospitals I've visited people in, this place is just ridiculous.
So now I'm just sitting around. Different Dr. came in and repeated the same thing the other Dr. had said about the tests they were going to run- except she could barely speak English so it was interesting. I asked when they would do the tests and she said the cardio people would come get me. Joy. They also retested my blood pressure and it was 96/126 and I felt exactlty the same so I think the lady earlier just mistranslated the numbers! Matt brought me clean PJs and my laptop (and my ever faithful Gilmore Girls) but he was bored out of his mind. You can only stare at each other for so long lol. So I sent him back to work and he will come back later with Popeyes (hey-it's for Roman!) and entertainment for himself so he can stay until they kick him out. My friend Jen also said she'd come by this afternoon. My friend Kara and two of her girls also stopped by briefly as a surprise. Her daughter had to get xrays so she decided to stop in on me so that was awesome. However when she left I felt more lonely. Last time (and only time) I was in the hospital I had my godmother, my ex-roomie Rachael, and my other ex-roomie Tara stay with me the whole time (seriously! one night all three stayed and the girls slept on a rollaway and my godmother on the recliner!) and people stopped by all the time and brought chocolate shakes. Even the VP of my university visited! I also had my unlimited minutes and could call and chat with everyone I wanted. Needless to say this time is quite different. Matt said we're treating this as a trial run for the birth but I think that'll be a lot different. After all- once I have my baby boy I won't care if I get visitors LOL. Well guess I'll update again after something finally happens!
11:57
Keeley Barr

1 comments:
Bless your heart. I hate you have to go through all this but man your writing is hilarious entertainment. YOu put it so well I can almost see it. Especially the fog and zombies.. I was seeing an old black and white horror movie in my mind! Glad it's almost over! I love you bunches! I am so proud of Mathew..(one T hehe) although he doesn't handle stress well he sure took awesome care of you! Glad your sentence is almost up! xoxoxoxo
Post a Comment