So this past week I told my two classes. On Monday I told my first graders and I let them try and guess my secret. No one had a clue until I said I had something in common with a little girl's mom- then even she didn't get it! But her friend did and she guessed "You're having a baby?" It was so cute. Then we did a bar graph (hey- great way to integrate the math!) of what the kids thought the sex of the baby was (predictions!). Half the kids (one was absent) thought it was a boy and half a girl. They were excited about it being a boy and loved his name. Other than that they didn't ask any questions which was a relief. I've been putting this off because I was scared of the questions I would get. Instead we talked about how Mrs. Barr needs to be able to stay calm and the baby can hear inside her belly so the class has to stay quiet. They agreed earnestly- but it didn't last too long lol.
Telling the 3rd graders was funnier. We played 18 questions- each kid got to ask one question. They didn't even come CLOSE! Finally my mentor teacher had to ask "Is it something about your FAMILY?" THEN several kids went Ohhhhhh and hands shot up into the air. So now they knew and we did the same thing- we guessed the gender. This time there were more girl guesses (wrong!) but they were still excited about it being a boy. Then they ALLLLLL proceeded to give me advice about little brothers and sisters (I told them several times I knew all about them since I have 5 but that didn't stop everyone's advice). Basically the hint I got was to only have one baby because little brothers and sisters are annoying lol. The funniest part was when I was leaving and several girls patted my belly. One girl patted it which made my fat jiggle (gross I know) and she was freaking out "Oh my God I saw the baby!! The baby moved when I touched Mrs. Barr's belly!!" I was dying trying not to laugh. I just agreed with her! Oh well poor girl. I told them when he really started kicking hard enough to feel I'd come back and let them touch. Again no awkward questions were asked- thank GOD but I did have a great response ready..."You know, that's a GREAT question for your Mom and Dad!!" :-D
21:55
Keeley Barr

1 comments:
LOL gotta love kids.. they say the darndest things.. but sounds like you got off pretty easy! That is funny about the advice...love it!
Post a Comment