Roman is one day old!
The Angel Nurse took out my catheter which for some reason hurt really bad (she said it shouldn’t have) and had me walk to the bathroom. She was acting shocked at the pain I was in but I don’t think she realized I was unmedicated for the entire night. I made it into the bathroom where I was able to wash up again and brush my teeth. Then she had me sit on the toilet and try and pee. No luck- and it hurt where the catheter came out so she said she’d ask the Dr for other pain meds. I got back to bed and the Angel Nurse brought me my breakfast and pain meds and then later on she came back and offered me another form of pain meds that actually worked pretty well. Matt was there by all this so he was holding Roman and I was able to relax, tried breast feeding but booger wouldn’t wake up, pump, and nap until the nurse came back for that next attempt at peeing. Apparently while napping lots of nurses, cleaning people, and Tricare people stopped by and enjoyed my impersonation of a lumber jack. Oh well. I made a peepee in the potty (Look Who’s Talking Now) and while the nurse was praising me I thought “you know, becoming a mom (at least after a c-section) is like growing up again. You take your first steps, your first pee in the potty, your first meal, your first poo in the potty all the while people are cheering and praising you like you were two.” Anywho after doing the potty dance (in my head) I had lunch and watched Matt take about an hour (ok just exaggerating- half an hour) to change a poopy diaper with the nurse’s help. Too cute. I pumped again (because my son would not wake up) and didn’t get as much this time. However later when the nurse went to clean the pump she saw the 1.5mil (combined) still in the bottle and she showed me how to let him take sips right out of it! Amazing. So Roman’s already drinking from a cup- damn my kid is gifted. Matt returned from his millions of errands (for me- love you babe) and he and I just hung out. We watched some Army Wives- well he held Roman and cuddled next to me on the bed while watching- I slept on his shoulder. After I fed Roman for the 2nd time successfully (and to me that’s without the stupid nipple shield and with him constantly sucking not having to be woken up every 30 seconds) Matt left for the night. He wanted me to send Roman to the nursery so I could get some sleep but I felt guilty sending a perfectly good sleeping baby there so I promised I would send him if he woke up. Which of course he did about 25 minutes later. The room was pitch black and I just pulled him in bed with me and I could tell his eyes were open but as soon as he was next to me he stopped fussing. He had a lot of gas so I think he just wanted to be comforted (Mom felt the same way kid don’t worry). But I knew I wouldn’t sleep like that so I cuddled him and loved on him while I paged the nurse. I don’t know what it was but while we waited on the nurse I just felt such a connection with him. It was amazing that the simplest thing of holding him next to me was all he wanted. I was all he wanted. Crazy, insane, amazing feeling. So of course the nurse came and took him and I told her he should want to eat at about midnight and she said she’d bring him when he was ready (grr) and away he went. And I cried again. Then I passed out hard. I slept for about an hour on each side then tossed for an hour before getting up to use the bathroom. It was 1:30am at this point and I was debating what to do- should I page them to bring him back? Just relax and sleep? Pump? Ahh this breastfeeding thing is so confusing. Getting situated in bed is such a big ordeal (pain wise) that I knew as soon as I did and got comfy he’d be back. Whatdaya know. A little after 2am she came in with him and I struggled getting him latched on so she offered to help. As soon as she grabbed my breast I though Oh lord another smoker- what the hell?? What is it about the night nurses and their nicotine habit? Find another way to stay awake or get a different job. Anyways she yanked and tugged on me and I tried to tell her that it doesn’t work that way with my nipples. When they’re inverted if you pinch and pull they just invert further- you have to push them out. Weird I know but anyways we finally got him latched on (using the stupid shield because the nurses have no patience with my boobies) and he fed for about 15 minutes but was too sleepy for the other side. I was worried about this but the nurse informed me that my milk was enough to fill him up and we’d just do the other side next time. Milk? Sure enough I looked in my breast shield and whatdaya know? There’s MILK in it! My milk came in quick! She asked if he could go back to the nursery and while I didn’t think I would sleep more I agreed. I chugged half a quart of chocolate milk Matt had brought (oh I have a cooler in my room with me. The nurses think it’s hilarious but the chief of OB said he loved it and that he totally understood being from Paraguay. Guess they like cold drinks and ice too) and then surprising fell asleep for another two hours. Roman came back at about 5:30am but was still asleep (I guess that’s when they bring babies back anyways? No idea.) so the nurse said let him sleep until 6:30 before waking him to feed. Yeah right lol. Soon after she left he began fussing so I fed him again- another successful time. I seem to do better alone. We snuggled in bed with him on his tummy on my chest looking adorable (don’t worry I snapped pix) for the next couple hours until the morning nurse came in to do breakfast and vitals. Heavenly. I was amused again with the fact that even though I had only gotten about 5 hours of broken sleep that night I was actually fine and happy to just stare at my baby. He’s like the best TV show or movie in the world.
And that’s the end of Roman’s second 24 hours!
08:24
Keeley Barr

1 comments:
*tears pouring* happy tears of course.. "watching you grow into mommy".. melts my heart I love you (and ur humor gives me explanation for tears when Hannah says what's wrong) <3
Post a Comment