Sunday, September 5, 2010

Colic Anyone?

I once read that it's easy to be a Mommy during the easy times but the test of a Mom is getting through those rough moments. That first illness or (in our case) the night that the baby won't stop screaming. Yesterday was that day. Roman was happy in the morning but come afternoon any time he wasn't sleeping or eating he was crying. The worst started at about 6pm after his bottle. He cried and cried. We changed him. We burped him. We offered paci. We tried the floor on his back and on his tummy. We tried his swing. Daddy bounced him on his chest. Mommy snuggled him close and tight to her chest. He would stop for a minute or two then start back up. Matt did get him to take short naps (5-10 mins)on his chest but he always woke up screaming. During all this I had gone to take a shower but when I got up I heard him screaming like he was in pain. We gave him Mylicon drops and he still cried while Matt first tried to burp him again and then bounced him on his chest. Another 10min nap later and it was Mommy's turn again. He acted like he wanted a paci but after one suck he would spit it out and cry. We fed him again at 9 and evn after burping he cried but didn't want more or the paci. He farted lots and finally gave us a good poop (2nd of the day) but even after changing him he still wailed. His little face was dark red, his knees were up to his chest, his fist were clinched as were his eyes, his forehead was wrinkled and he just cried. All of that plus the farting were every single symptom in my "what to expect the first year" book for colic. That's right- the dreaded "C" word. The thing every Mommy prays about while pregnat "Please please please let my baby be healthy and not have colic." He's had fussy evenings but last night was not normal. Finally I got him to sleep and rocked him. Then (and I debated and debated over this) we had to bathe him :-( He did great in his bath but once out the crying started back up. Let me mention that by 9:30 Mommy had joined in on the crying. I hate seeing my little in pain and there;s nothing I can do about it. Daddy's stress comes out in a meaner way- he gets frustrated and tends to yell. Then this causes Mommy to yell at Daddy for yelling at a baby. Then Mommy takes baby away from Daddy and cries more because she's frustrated with baby AND Daddy. Joys. Finally got him back asleep and back in bed by 10:45pm. Thank. You. Jesus. Matt and I didn't speak for the rest of the evening. Baby slept til 12:45am and I got up and fed him. Then he miraculously slept until 5:45am (I think all that crying exhausted him!) when Mommy shoved Daddy and said "Go. Feed. Baby." before rolling over and covering her ears. Not like it mattered who feeds him- I still can't sleep because I hear him crying (which causes leakage btw and is VERY annoying) while waiting for the bottle and being changed. Plus this time Roman spit up all over Matt (according to Matt it was all over his shoulder, down his chest, and all over his undies and a little bit on Roman) so Roman cried and cried while Matt wiped him all up. This was 6:15am. And my alarm went off at 6:30am. Nice. I took Roman while Matt cleaned up and we cuddled in bed where Roman just stared around our room and at his Mommy. A couple of snooze buttons later we got out of bed to start our morning. And that was my night. I am officially a Mommy.

1 comments:

Kel said...

And you made it through pretty much like most couples babygirl. This won't last forever (it just feels like it while you are going through it) I do know reading you were crying ... sigh.. wish I could help my baby help her baby so I cried as I read..lol.. wow.. but reading about the dedication and seeing the video. God is right there .. and I know you are like ok God ... anytime now.. :-) Sing Praise You in The Storm as you rock that precious gift .. :-) love yall bunches Yaya can't wait to be able to say let him spend the night go have mommy daddy time.. God has blessed me in ways I don't even deserve but his grace and mercy says yes you do you are my child... <3 xoxoxo hugs and kisses for each of you

Post a Comment