Wow one month- can't believe it! Some parts of some days it's like sheesh hurry up and get bigger so we can play or smile or sit up or slow down on eating but mostly it's flown by. I still remember his birthday like it happened yesterday. I remember the first couple HORRIBLE days home perfectly. I don't know if it's because I wrote it all down and that helped but it's amazing.
So what's Roman up to now? Well for starters he's a lil porker! He now weighs 9lbs and is 23in long! Holy schmo! At two weeks old we started on bottles instead of breast (and I just pump so he's still "breast fed")and after just a couple of days he was eating 3oz. This past weekend he was acting so hungry after 3oz that I bumped him up to 4oz and he did fine on that for a few days but then stopped eating more than 3 so I bumped him back down. Now some feedings that's fine but some he acts hungry still- who knows?! Wish I did lol.
We added formula yesterday (Similac Advance) and the first feeding was so funny- wish I had taken a pic! He gave me this look with a wrinkled forehead, raised eyebrows, huge eyes and a quivery chin while he looked at me with a "Mommy what are you DOING to me??" but after a couple of small sips with faces in between he finally sucked it down. My baby is NOT picky- he'll eat anything, any temp, from any bottle! Hope he stays that way :-) Anywho he had one bottle yesterday AM and one last night and both did great. This AM he had another and again no problems.
Roman also has had a bit of a spit up problem. I thought we weren't burping him well but that wasn't it. Thought we were overfeeding him but defintely not it. A friend suggested it could be the bottle and then I started thinking that may be it. He uses two bottles- avent and playtex ventaire- and with the avent he coughs/chokes much more and drinks it waaaay faster than the playtex. I hadn't noticed a pattern with the spit up so we decided to take away the avent (since he chokes more with it) and see. However I only had 3 ventaire bottles and didnt want to be washing constantly so I went to buy more. But thinking about it I was worried that when he gets bigger and starts to hold his own bottle that he might hold it wrong and wouldn't be able to get the milk out so I started reading all the packages of bottles at our PX. Almost every bottle said it worked against spit up but Avent surprisingly! Anyways I bought a three pack of Dr. Brown's since soo many people and hospitals recommend it for gas and spit up. That was another funny moment giving him such a teeny nipple when he's been using the wide ones all along but again he had no problem with it. Two days with no Avent bottles and no spit up! Thank goodness- I was hoping it was a bottle problem and not that he was allergic to something in my milk!
Roman is SO strong now! He can hold his head up for a while which is amazing. He loves to look around and if you have him on your chest- standing or sitting- he pops that head up and looks all around. Now he's even smiling when he sees things! He is also doing it during Tummy Time (which I credit doing tummy time since day 1 to him being so strong!) Hopefully he gets his Daddy's athleticism and not Mommy's lack of!
Not all things are swell of course. Roman is definitely one of the "75% of babies who is fussy from 5-8pm." Stinks because it's right when Matt gets home and Mama wants a break but Roman cries more with Matt (I say it's because he can sense that matt is stressed out and can't stay calm when baby is crying but Matt says he's a Mama's boy.) I just grit my teeth and cuddle him but even when he's dozing and with a paci in his mouth he still whimpers in my arms. Yesterday though he slept through that time thankfully since Matt worked late!
We recently celebrated Roman's One Month Birthday (4 days ago to be exact)! To celebrate I made him a banana and chocolate bread "cake" complete with a 1 candle (which was actually a 4 candle we cut to be a 1 since the PX was out). I know it's silly and corny but Matt and I love celebrating the small stuff. I think it's part of being in the military that you learn to enjoy what you can when you can because you never know when Daddy is going to be sent away (and dare to say when he may not come back). I also have this irrational fear that something is going to happen to me and it'll just be Roman and Matt. Or even worse something will happen to Roman. Anyways whatever happens we have made wonderful memories and we have "proof" left behind for whomever!
We were hoping to get Roman's newborn pictures taken this month (late as usual I know) and we met a photographer on our marriage retreat however she is having lighting equipment issues and was going to call me when she resolved them (she was hoping it'd be a day or two) but no call yet :-( Tonight we're going to just do some nakey ones ourself. I hate that he's grown so much though (well no I don't but I hate that we didn't take pix when he was teeny - he's like a giant to us now!)
I hate that my blog doesn't have pictures and videos but it takes SO long to upload them on here! Anywho see everything on my facebook! :-)
13:06
Keeley Barr

1 comments:
These posts always put a smile on my face!
Post a Comment