Monday, September 13, 2010

To Move or Not to Move...

So Matt (and the FRG leader/Commander) said to treat this field excercise as a test run for when they deploy...well I am now considering moving back home for the deployment. When we lived off post I said for sure I was moving back but once we got on post I was so much happier I decided to stay here. However the high of moving into a bigger place has worn off (it's bigger yes but the layout is annoying- no open spaces. Plus we REALLY need an extra room for all our crap). Anywho I haven't made up my mind 100% but I'm working on my pro/con list- feel free to add to it for either side! Especially those friends who have stayed in Germany (or Korea) during a deployment.

PRO:
Family help
Close Friends
I can work
Trusted Daycare (or Nana!) ;-)
Bigger apt/house (with AC and CARPET!)
Stores/food (esp. 24hr stores!!)
Cheaper things!
Space A to FL
Could house hunt in Ft Hood
Visit Houston on weekends
Better technology (CELL PHONE! DVR! CABLE!)
Used to deployment in TX
UT Tyler (may work? Get masters?)
Better winter
no more rations cards aka can buy wine when i want and dont need matt!

CON
Drama (sorry people)
Can’t travel more of Europe (but I think I would feel too guilty doing it without Matt anyways...and not comfy traveling alone plus with Roman)
Live apart 15 mo instead of 12(minus RR/Block Leave. But already used to that)
Away from unit/communication (but have FB)
Church family (that's probably biggest Con) :-(
Money? (may or may not make more in TX- need to check about COLA/BAH)
Weather (HEAT!) :-(
Time difference to Matt (in germany it's only 1-2hrs however we're used to that as well)
Have to move ourselves to new post from Longview (but he will reenlist to get forthood so we've done it before!)
Free daycare hours when deployed (but dont need if i have family)
people around me that truly understand (but we have skype and fb!)

So right now PRO list for moving home is bigger especially considering all of my CONs can be debated. Thank goodness we have time to figure things out!

Matt isn't thrilled about this idea (I think he's just jealous that I'd be back in the states lol) because he doesnt want to give up our house HOWEVER when he gets back from Afgh. he'll only have 3 more months before he PCSes to wherever (fort hood...) and one month will be block leave (and hopefully we'll be on a cruise and maybe London if we dont go before he leaves!) so he'd only have to live in barracks for 2months IF they wont let us stay off post with govt furniture (I lose command sponsorship if I move home). So the house thing to me isn't a big deal. Especially since I could get something nicer in the states. So a con would be we have to pay for us to move from wherever I live to wherever we get posted. HOWEVER if I find a place in Fort Hood and live there (4hrs is better than this!) then that eliminates that problem. What if Matt doesn't get Fort Hood as his next post you ask? Well he can reenlist for it- not something he's crazy about but I'm pushing for at least 2 more years since then Roman's college is paid for (when he gets out in 2014 he'll have been in 8yrs but you need to be in 10yrs for your child to get your GI Bill).

1 comments:

Kel said...

As usual you are thinking it all through..I am so proud of you babygirl! I know that you will do what is right for you and Matt and Roman in the end. Lift it up in prayer..and really listen. Jeremiah 29:11 (New International Version)11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." You know as your mom and Roman's Yaya I would love love love for you to be back anywhere I can get in a car and come see you! And moving you anywhere in the states we can handle. But ..I can't be selfish and say yes that is what you should do. Matt won't be there and yes it would suck to be in the barracks a cpl months...however..he too needs to make a list...and remember you would be a single mom while he is gone. You have a degree you could be using or working on your masters so that when he gets out you will be established in your career giving him time to find what he wants to do. I know that bond you get on post. When I first moved back from Alaska I went to Longview awhile..and it was hard to adjust thus moving on to Corpus to look for DD job as the daycare was civil service(of course I didn't know a hiring freeze was in effect ugh) but yeah.. only you can decide what you feel God is leading you to do. Everyone here loves you and wants you happy. I have no doubt they will all support whatever you decide to do. Our last yr in Adak was against my will so I was resentful big time..especially after losing Kassie..but it was done. So I just worked and saved. (yes there was a time I had a good head on my shoulders for money etc) haha..just glad ya learned from our mistakes we made (i.e. eating out all the time buying stuff we didn't need etc) That was not a strong front your dad and I had. We were young like yall but oh well.. as long as our mistakes ended in some good ...kids learning to get a degree save your money etc :-) I will be praying for yall..and add you to the prayer list in my small group as well. I trust in you babygirl..you will make the right choice for yall..love you bunches! xoxo mom

Post a Comment