You know its so amazing to be told that you helped someone- even when you thought you didn't! In the book I'm reading- "First Days of School"- he said years from now the students you thought you didn't reach will come back and tell you that you impacted their lives. It's so true and I'm not even a teacher yet!
In the last couple of days I've gotten 2 random posts on Facebook thanking me for helping them. One was a woman who I took Intermediate Math with freshman year that I "tutored" with the help of another girl. She said if it wasn't me and the other girl that she wouldn't have passed math that year. And then a guy I had as a freshman the first time I was a Freshman Mentor just thanked me for helping him his freshman year getting acquainted with the school and everything. It just feels so good!
For too long I was friends with such negative people and constantly being surrounded by people like that makes YOU be like that too. In fact one girl in particular once told me I was mean! I've NEVER been called mean! Matt also told me not too long after I started living with this girl that I was becoming more mean like her. Now THAT hurt. But when she told me that I called my BFF Adri who reassured me that I was one of the "nicer" girls in our group in high school lol. I think being told that by this person and then remembering Matt's words led to my slowly backing away from her- and not quick enough! Ever since we quit speaking (her choice, I wanted to remain acquainted but after a few things she said and did that could never happen) I have noticed such a change in my life. I met other people that I used to not speak too because they weren't "cool" enough for this girl and ended up making such GREAT friends!! I regret not spending all of my college life with these new friends but it was a learning experience. The other day Adri reminded me that I've always been such a positive person and to remain that way through this time in Germany. It's true- before and after this girl I was and am a positive person. It's amazing how carried away you can get without even knowing it!
I guess the lesson of this blog is always choose your friends wisely and remember to surround yourself with the type of people you aspire to be. And to always be helpful and nice- you never know who's life you're touching!
09:16
Keeley Barr

0 comments:
Post a Comment