Saturday, October 31, 2009

Glückliches Halloween!

Today was a great day! In fact this was a great week!! I volunteered at the school Mon-Thurs and it was awesome. Friday I didn't go in so I could prepare for Matt to come home. I had the house spotless and even made him Mexican Casserole and chocolate chip cookies. Unfortunately though he and the guys got on the wrong train so they were kicked off in a small town- had to take the train back- and then get on the right train! But he got in at 7pm so not too late. We had a great night!

Today I woke up and went to the Children's Christmas Play Practice (here forth called CCPP) and there were alot of kids out. It turns out 2 of my boys from school are in the CCPP though! I think they like seeing Mrs. Barr in flipflops, jeans, and a hoodie lol and I met their moms (but already knew one from PWOC!) After practice the Barretos and us went to Bamberg. I found a pair of black boots for 24euros! And a white hat I've been wanting but unwilling to spend $20 on! I got it for 4euros.
Then we walked to the farmers market and bought what we think are Idaho potatoes for only 1.50euros! Oh and we also got roasted chestnuts just to try them- that was so fun. Now when we sing "roasted chestnuts on an open fire, jack frost nipping at your nose" we really know what it feels like! It got COLD while in Bamberg!! Lucky for me I had put on real shoes and Matt's jacket. The chestnuts weren't bad. The first one was weird but then we developed the taste for them. We'll try making our own one day and adding some salt to them! Oh and fyi they look like little brains hahaha.
After the farmer's market we stopped in C&A for the Barretos but Matt also found a nice sweater for only 9euros so he got a treat too.
Next it was off to Real aka Walmart! We had a mission to only spend 50euros on Christmas items. Mission accomplished! We got 59euros worth of stuff but got 10euros back with our VAT form. We are definitely going back next paycheck though..had our eyes on the penguin cookie jar, gold/silver decorated wreath, and the Santa on a crescent moon light up thing! OMG Mary I found the PERFECT gifts for the boys while in Bamberg- I'll tell ya next time we're on the phone (just in case they read this).

Well I'm watching Meet Me in St. Louis and waiting on Matt to get home from school. We're going to have a drink and watch "Its the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" Matt brought up an excellent point...why haven't they done a real life movie of Charlie Brown? They've turned so many cartoons into real movies like The Grinch, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Scoobie Doo...just something to ponder lol

Oh and for those of you wondering, no Germans don't really celebrate Halloween. A few more "Americanized" people do but we've only seen 2 houses decorated. Crazy! Although we did see 3 trick or treaters when we pulled up (one wearing a Spiderella costume that I once wore...crazy). They are more into All Saints Day. While in Bamber we saw two kids dressed up as Jesus.- or one Jesus and another a saint? And tomorrow at the catholic service I heard the kids are dressing up as their favorite saints. Apparently today is the day Martin Luther nailed the 99thesis to the church doors so that's what the Germans celebrate. So it didn't really feel like Halloween for us- though they had a kids carnival on post. Boo for not having kids! Poor Elvis..we already had him wearing BOTH of his costumes today! A bumblebee and a hotdog. If anyone sees cheap dog costumes in small or extra small get one for Elvis!!

1 comments:

Kel said...

Wow.. that sounds so awesome. Love the fact you will know what roasted chestnuts taste like while feelig Jack Frost nippin at ur nose hehe... I love Meet me in St Louis.. Theatre under the stars just performed that in Houston. They even had a day you could pay an amt for ticket and get a ferris wheel ride at the downtown aquarium and people dressed up in character walking around. LOL @ the Spiderella costume.. too funny! Well came here to show Nana how to do this one too hehe. BUT she is in the other room and I think she may have dozed waiting on me. All the kids are playin out back. I had a blast just me and them at the carnival. David's gma was really depressed when we got there yesterday so I told him to stay with her I could handle the kids. Now gonna see if we can visit DanDan. He is in a nursing home here in Longview because he is having to get dialysis..so not sure what the visitation stuff is like. Gonna call Aunt Becky in a few. I love you babygirl! I am excited to follow you through this journey. The holiday pics are gonna be amazing I am sure! xoxo mommy

Post a Comment